Sunday, December 27, 2009

Avatar

I watched Avatar last weekend.

There was a tremendous hype and buzz about this brand new flick from James Cameron. After all, it is the most expensive movie ever made, and it has taken about 10 years or so for them to finish it.

So naturally, my expectations were quite high.

Overall, the movie is a Technical Masterpiece, graphics and special effects are awesome - spellbinding, something we have never seen before. Great attention has been paid to the little details, and it really shows on the screen. Within first few minutes, I was totally blown away by the breathtaking views of Pandora, and as the movie progressed, it all went bigger and better, culminating in war-scene which literally shook me.

It is rightly said that, James Cameron has yet again raised the bar, as far as the action and special effects are concerned.

Now let me discuss the most important thing - The plot - I expected something novel from James Cameron. But sadly, the plot of the movie is a major MAJOR disappointment. It is almost very predictable. It is the same old plain, brave-hero-does-it-all and good-vs-evil stuff. There was no drama, no surprises at all in the story. Maybe, maybe it would have been a good story 10 years back, but today - No Way.

[spoiler alert]

And in the climax scene, when the girl finally kills the bad guy, when he is about to kill Jack, well it almost reminded me of the endings which I used to see in bollywood flicks many years back.

[/spoiler alert]

One more thing, which irritated me, was the love between our hero Jack Sully and the Na'vi girl. I mean, it is not really illogical or anything, but I am not a big fan of "Aliens-in-love" kind of stuff. For some reason, I really find it very boring. Why do they even try to throw in that much romance in a science fiction movie ?, It is really beyond me.

Overall, the presentation is awesome, the treatment of the plot is great, but the plot itself is not very original. Great visual spectacle, not a great movie.

Go watch it just for some good 3D fun.

4 comments:

Raja Khurram Gulistan said...

Abb to dekhni hee pare gi yaar. Jinho ne dekhi hai wo bhee dobara dekhne ki baat kar rahe hain - aur mai nai as usual abhi tak nahi dekhi (-:

Osama said...

Raja dearest,

Its story was developed 10 years back. Its an above average story. Its not a bad one either. The movie had so much detail in it like the Navi culture, their own language and a whole new planet life. It was all covered in more than 2 1/2 hrs! To me it was a good story, presented very well but it was definitely not a new one. And that didnt disappoint
me at all.

Yes I wud have to agree with u on the romance thingy. I guess the Alien-romance was over the board but it reflects the western culture and the general such expectation/demand of the public in the west. and it didnt come as a surprise to me at all! :p

But all in all, its a great mind
blowing movie to watch!

P.S: Btw ur hero's name is Jake not Jack ;)

Raja Ghulam Rasool said...

@Osama

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Yes, I agree with you (and as I mentioned in my post) great attention has been paid to little details. It is not at all superficial, rather the director has really walked us through his imaginative world and its people.
But as far as the storyline is concerned, it is still old/predictable stuff with new packaging.
Maybe, the treatment and packaging is so glorious that we will not, ultimately care about the actual stuff being offered to us.
And the fact that the story was developed 10 years back, does not automatically become a reason/excuse for it to be an ordinary one. right ?
And yes, Alien-romance sucks big time :-)

Raja Ghulam Rasool said...

@Khurram

Watch it ASAP in 3D:)